Author Topic: Version Control System  (Read 1327 times)

suyash

• View Profile
Version Control System
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:11:46 pm »
Hi,

I am a very much new user to FEFLOW. I would like to suggest if we can have a version control system in FEFLOW. It means once we have a first fem file, we can check out that file and make changes. Once the changes are done user can check in the model and write comments. While checking in it will also have User´s credentials. This will enable to have history of the models and will make it easy to track the changes made.

Regards,
Suyash

Peter Schätzl

• View Profile
Re: Version Control System
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:09:39 pm »
Thank you very much for this suggestion. As this is not available in FEFLOW at the moment, you might wish to use a stand-alone version control system such as Turtoise SVN. If you use fem files in ASCII mode, it will have the advantage that SVN will only store the difference with each change and - at least on ASCII file level - you will be able to see the changes between the versions.
Berlin - Germany

suyash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 07:17:52 pm »
Thanks Peter. I will check Tortoise application.

It will be good to have this feature in FEFLOW as a default.

criga

• View Profile
    • www.matrix-solutions.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 04:06:26 pm »
We use Tortoise SVN for building models. Once we are ready to run a simulation, we create a 'tag' of that version for future reference, then keep developing the model on the original file. It's very powerful.

I just noticed that MikeShe has a Version Control System linked in. I haven't gotten far enough to say how exactly it works, but it looks like it really just links to an already existing VCS on your system. Maybe something similar could be implemented for FeFlow?
Dipl.-Ing. Christian S. Gabriel, M.Sc.
Environmental Consultant
Matrix Solutions Inc.
Breslau, Ontario -- Canada
Phone: +1 (519) 772-3777 ext. 104
www.matrix-solutions.com