Author Topic: Automatic grid modifications  (Read 616 times)

Automatic grid modifications
« on: August 11, 2014, 11:35:18 am »
When asked to model a groundwater abstraction project, we are often in the situation that we have an existing model that covers the area in question, but before that existing model can be used, the geometry of the groundwater abstraction project has to be incorporated into the grid. e.g. cut off walls has to be represented correctly in the grid. This can be done by hand but it takes a long time.

The dream situation would therefore be to have a tool that can modify the grid in an area so that it represents the lines in a shape file. Probably First a grid refinement along the lines and then adjustment of nodes. It would save a lot of time and make FeFlow very attractive for consultants working with constructions and groundwater.

adacovsk

• View Profile
    • E-mail me regarding job inquiries
Re: Automatic grid modifications
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 06:05:01 pm »
I've actually have been trying to develop a plug-in that does this. It takes quite a bit of know-how to do something like this; the overall idea is to take the closest node to the line and projecting that node on the line; it's likely more easy to do when just working with one cardinal direction at a time. It's really important have a consistent element refinement around those lines, as you can potentially pull nodes from elements further away.

Hope this helps.

Adam

Peter Schätzl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 04:55:13 pm »
Christian,
We're sharing a dream here - and at least we're working towards it. No promises at all, though...
Berlin - Germany

adacovsk

• View Profile
    • E-mail me regarding job inquiries
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 07:35:23 pm »
Now that I think about it, building upon what I wrote about a year ago, using Voronoi diagrams, you wouldn't need to worry about pulling multiple nodes from an element -- not so bad! Just take the nodes where the polylines lie in the Voronoi cells and project them onto the polylines... In case vertices/corners, just place the node from the Voronoi cell where they intersect and place it at the vertices/corners, simple! ;D

Just need the budget and time to do it now...

Adam