Author Topic: computational points in mike 21  (Read 765 times)

sasi3339

• View Profile
computational points in mike 21
« on: April 10, 2016, 08:20:26 am »
Hi
i am working on flood inundation modelling with coupled mike 11 and mike 21 models in mike flood. I have completed mike 11 model and the results were appreciable. Coming to the issue, while i am trying to simulate the mike 21 model it says that there are more computational points than allowed by my license(labkit). What does those computational points mean by and is there any way to bring down those high number of computational points.
Thank you.

Ricardo Machado

• View Profile
    • LinkedIn Profile
Re: computational points in mike 21
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 12:03:18 pm »
Hello sasi3339,

In a MIKE21 model, the computational points are determined by the number of cells you have, whereas in a MIKE11 model the computational points are determined by the number of cross-sections you specify.

Most likely the issue is in the MIKE21 model as it tends to have a lot more computational points than MIKE11. I would suggest increasing the cell size so as to reduce their number and/or reduce the simulated area. See if you have any areas that aren't critical to what you are modelling and get rid of them.

I hope that was helpful.

Best regards,
Ricardo Machado
Freelance Hydraulics and Water Resources Engineer

Hydraulic Modeler

http://www.linkedin.com/in/engricardomachado

sasi3339

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 01:13:09 pm »
hi
Thanks for your reply. I have clipped my DEM to the extent of my study area and when i import to mike 21 by gridtomike option. All the cells with no values are getting assigned by the land value. I have attached the screenshot of my grid and can you suggest me how to delete the cells with value greater than 300 so that i have less computational points. How to increase the cell size and or decrease the simulated area. Could you please elaborate.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:20:24 pm by sasi3339 »

Ricardo Machado

• View Profile
    • LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 12:05:09 am »
Hi Sasi,

I guess you will have to generate the bathymetry again with a greater cell size. Just take a look at MIKE21C manual or help menu to see the necessary steps.

Best regards,
Ricardo Machado
Freelance Hydraulics and Water Resources Engineer

Hydraulic Modeler

http://www.linkedin.com/in/engricardomachado

sasi3339

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 08:09:10 pm »
Hi Ricardo

Thank you for your patience in replying to all my doubts . I took note of your suggestions and i am working on Calibration of MIKE 11. I will fix this issue in MIKE 21 soon.

With regards
Sasidhar Dasari