Author Topic: initial head+solution head  (Read 2449 times)

Chris

• View Profile
initial head+solution head
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:46:27 pm »
it would be great if FEFLOW had 2 different parameter sets for initial head and the actual solution head - the actual status with the initial head always being deleted by the actual solution when saving the fem file can be very frustrating (and time consuming). Therefore a easy and fast option for copying/pasting 3D-heads between a solution / a data set / intial head should also be integrated.

Blair

• View Profile
    • www.pdp.co.nz
Re: initial head+solution head
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 02:04:48 am »
Hi Chris,

I too have found this frustrating.  But the simple work around is to always save the model just before running.  If you want to use the initial heads, close the model after running and don't save.  If you want to keep the final solution heads, save the model before closing.

Blair

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 09:47:35 am »
Hi Blair,
I am also using your work around, but as you said, it is frustrating and consumes my time, that is not needed.
Chris

Robin Dufour

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 07:13:30 pm »
Hi Chris,

I agree with you, it's time consumming to copy the initial head onto a new model.

For now the fastest I found is to work onto  the ascii file directly and copy all the block corresponding to the initial condition in once, however as you said, a fastest way would be great.

Cheers,
Robin
Robin Marc Dufour M.Sc.
Project Hydrogeologist, Numerical Modeler
MWH PERU S.A.
Av. Conquistadores 626-638 Lima 27 Perú
t. +51 1 700 3200
f. +51 1 700-3700 
 robin.dufour@mwhglobal.com

Peter Schätzl

• View Profile
    • Aquasoil
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:22:00 am »
Actually I think there's advantages and disadvantages in the current handling of hydraulic head as a single process variable: When doing a quick steady-state calibration, it is quite useful to automatically start from the last result (ideally getting a faster solution as the initials are close to the expected result), while in transient simulations it can be annoying that you have to load the model once again before making changes.

If you do not want to reload the model before re-running, I recommend to copy the initial heads to a nodal reference distribution. This can be done by selecting all the nodes and using the copy/paste functions. From there, you can easily copy them back onto hydraulic head with a few mouse clicks - and without having to fumble with the files or importing them from an external file.
Aquasoil Ingenieure und Geologen GmbH
Berlin - Germany

dvb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 11:58:37 am »
Hi Peter, can you describe the exact procedure "to copy the initial heads to a nodal reference distribution", I don't get it in F6.

Thanks,

Didier

Peter Schätzl

• View Profile
    • Aquasoil
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 10:07:42 am »
Didier,

make hydraulic head the active parameter, select all nodes, click the 'Copy' button, then switch the active parameter to a nodal reference distribution (that you have to create first via the context menu of nodal reference distributions) and click on 'Paste'.

Good luck!
Peter
Berlin - Germany

dvb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 01:04:01 pm »
Thanks Peter but I am loosing it  :-X at "switch the active parameter to a nodal reference distribution (that you have to create first via the context menu of nodal reference distributions)"

I think you meant to create a "node selections" from the current node selection (e.g; all the selected nodes from slice 1) in a slice view, and once created click right on the selection and "paste" (but actually I don't see "paste" in the different options, so I am likely wrong)

Cheers !

Peter Schätzl

• View Profile
    • Aquasoil
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 08:48:04 am »
I apologize for skipping one of the important steps... Right-click on Reference Data in the Data Panel and choose Add Nodal Reference Distribution from the Context menu. You can rename the distribution if you want. This new nodal parameter can be made active just as any other parameter - and when active you can paste the previously copied hydraulic head values onto it.
Berlin - Germany

dvb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:33:36 am »
Cool ! thanks Peter ! I never noticed the reference data folder before
Have a great day !

Cheers,
Didier